Rowing Technique Fundamentals:
Rowing is a great exercise. It taxes your cardio vascular system and is a also a great whole body strength & conditioning tool.
Its important to get your technique nailed to make the most of the rower, so here is a video and some tips to help you:
- Arms straight, head neutral.
- Upper body leaning forward from the hips with shoulders in front of hips.
- Knees flexed and shins vertical (heels may lift up)
Initiate The Pull:
- Start by pressing with the legs
- Bring the back through the vertical position before adding a big pull with the arms
- Hands need to move in a straight line with you shoulders relaxed
Finish The Pull:
- Upper body leaning back slightly
- Legs extended with the handle held just below the ribs
- Try to keep wrists / grip relaxed
Returning To The Fly Wheel:
- First extend the arms until they straighten
- Lean forward from the hips towards the fly wheel
- Once hands pass the knees allow knees to bend and gradually the seat will slide forward
For the next stroke return to the start position and repeat the process.